In many cases, tooth extractions are performed when all other options have been exhausted and are typically recommended for severely damaged, decayed, or compromised teeth.
McLeansville, NC dentist Dr. Quinn Woodruff can work with you to coordinate the care you need for simple tooth extraction, surgical tooth extraction, or wisdom teeth removal. After a complex dental examination, our team can build a comprehensive treatment plan based on your needs.
Common Reasons For Tooth Extractions
As an experienced family dentist in McLeansville, NC, Dr. Woodruff may recommend tooth extractions for a number of different reasons. Some of the most common reason for tooth extraction may include:
- Severely damaged teeth
- Advanced stage of tooth decay
- Dental infection
- Overcrowded teeth
- Extra teeth
- Preventing the development of permanent teeth
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Teeth that are affecting the alignment of the bite
How is Tooth Extraction Performed
Tooth extractions are typically categorized in two ways; Simple tooth extraction and surgical tooth extraction. Depending on the needs of the patient, both forms of extraction can be performed under dental sedation. Your dentist or specialist will work with you to determine which solution best suits your unique needs.
- Simple Tooth Extractions: This type of extraction is typically performed when the extracted tooth is fully visible from the gum line. A local anesthetic is applied, and the dentist uses special tools to gently remove the tooth from its ligaments. After the ligaments are removed, the tooth is carefully rocked back and forth until it is completely free from the ligaments.
- Surgical Tooth Extractions: This type of extraction is recommended when the tooth is not completely noticeable from the gum line or is inaccessible, similar to an impacted or un-erupted wisdom tooth. If the tooth is not visible from the gum line, the gums are opened to access the tooth, and if necessary, the tooth may need to be removed in fragments. Once complete, the gums are sutured to allow for appropriate healing.
Tooth Extraction in McLeansville, NC
McLeansville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we offer a full range of treatment options to improve the health and function of your smile. If you are in need of tooth extraction or wisdom teeth removal in Mcleansville, Sedalia, Greensboro, or the surrounding area, visit our office to explore your options. To schedule a consultation, call 336.506.6545 or request an appointment online.