Patients of any age can develop gum disease, so it is important to strive for excellent oral health care to keep your smile healthy. Aside from taking care of your teeth, it is equally important to care for your gums.
In recent years, research has shown that gum disease is linked to serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. So not only is taking care of your gums an important part of maintaining excellent oral health, but it is also an important part of improving your overall health.
Try to incorporate these easy tips into your oral hygiene routine to help keep your gums healthy and minimize your risk of gum disease.
Improve Your Gum Health With These Tips
- Brush your teeth: Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day for at least two minutes each time. If you brush your teeth after you eat, be sure to wait at least 30 minutes after your meal.
- Floss your teeth: Try to floss at least once a day to remove debris and plaque between the teeth and around the gum line. Floss is designed to reach the surface of the teeth that brushing alone cannot reach.
- Visit the dentist regularly: You should visit the dentist at least twice a year for a routine dental exam and professional teeth cleaning. During your visit, your dentist can find any signs of gum disease and recommend the appropriate treatment for you.
- Avoid tobacco: Smoking and tobacco use can hinder your body’s natural ability to heal, making it harder for you to fight off gum disease.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly: Be sure to replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months, depending on its condition.
Schedule A Gum Disease Screening in McLeansville, NC
If you have not visited the dentist for a gum disease screening or your routine dental exam, schedule an appointment with our team at McLeansville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry. To schedule an appointment, call 336.506.6545 or request an appointment online.